“It is health that is the real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver” Mahatma Ghandi.
Once one realizes within themselves that something is wrong, pay attention to your body. Do not ignore extreme tiredness and attention issues. Even if blood testing is normal, there are more tests that can be done to investigate the pathways in the adrenal gland to see if this is what is indeed going on. When your physician takes the history what you are feeling, and the times of day you are feeling these symptoms, will give a hint.
Salivary testing checks the variation of the hormones. It is absolutely ESSENTIAL to check the cortisol before replacing it. The saliva is tested in the morning (this is when cortisol is at its peak). It is then tested before lunch and dinner to see what happens during the day. It should gradually decline as the day progresses. We also check this before bedtime. In a healthy person, this should continue to decline.
The plan to treat the fatigue has steps
First one must rebuild the cortisol levels if low.
- If the individual is flat-lined from cortisol depletion, then bio-identical cortisol in the form of hydrocortisone is administered. This is a very small tablet, and supports the adrenal rather than suppresses it. A prescription is usually required for this.
- Vitamin Support – the following vitamins at the right doses need to be increased during stressful times because they are all used to make cortisol and the steroid hormones. If stress is increased, these should also be increased, and at very high doses, more than a regular diet can provide.
- Vitamin C
Adrenal Fatigue with low cortisol – Panax Ginseng and Licorice extract are very beneficial
Adrenal Fatigue with high cortisol –
- Rhodiola – this helps memory and concentration.
- Licorice extract
- This has been shown in Indian studies to be highly effective in fighting the fatigue and supports the thyroid quite nicely
- Panax Ginseng. This also helps DHEA.
- Magnolia Bark
- Melatonin this improves sleep cycles and sublingual administration is preferred. This is contraindicated in autoimmune diseases, leukemia, or Hodgkin’s diseases.
- L-Theanine (Green Tea). Theanine is often lot in the decaffeination process and this is the component of green tea needed to decrease the anxiety and increase alertness.
- Phosphatadylserine – this is very good for sleep support
Blood tests and saliva testing of the hormones which are affected will alter during treatment and this is easily followed by the physician. These hormones are testosterone, DHEA, progesterone, cortisol. The thyroid should always be checked as many of the symptoms of adrenal insufficiency overlap with hypothyroidism.
For thyroid support, the following are very beneficial: